MetLife Stadium is home to two world-famous National Football League Teams – the New York Giants and the New York Jets. Since 2020, they’ve also been home to the New York Guardians of the XFL.
In 2014 they held the Super Bowl, and they’ve broken many records!
There’s a whole industry built around supporting the MetLife Stadium. Did you know that it even has a helipad?
Below we’ll discuss interesting facts about MetLife Stadium, and need-to-know tips on finding the best parking, restaurants, bars, hotels, and guided tours!
- MetLife Stadium: Key Facts
- Where is MetLife Stadium Located?
- The Best Way to Get to MetLife Stadium
- Parking Near MetLife Stadium
- The Best Restaurants Near MetLife Stadium
- The Best Bars Near MetLife Stadium
- The Best Hotels near MetLife Stadium
- The History of MetLife Stadium
- Where to Get Tickets for MetLife Stadium
- Does MetLife Stadium Offer Tours?
MetLife Stadium: Key Facts
Here are some quick, key facts about MetLife Stadium:
- MetLife Stadium is home to the New York Giants and the New York Jets NFL teams.
- It was officially opened on April 10, 2010.
- It is one of the largest NFL stadiums in the US.
- It cost $1.6 billion to build.
- Its area size is 2.1 million square feet.
- There are only 2 stadiums where the NFL teams share a venue, and MetLife Stadium is one of them.
- It has an impressive 82,500 seating capacity across 4 levels- 10,000 of which are club seats, and 200 are luxury suites.
- It’s most associated with the NFL, but it has hosted other major events as well such as the Super Bowl, soccer, basketball, WWE, Army-navy games, and concerts.
- In 2009, it received the Environmental Protection Agency’s “Greenest Stadium” in the NFL award.
- In 2017, it was named the Stadium Business Summit’s “Venue of the Year” for outstanding performance.
Where is MetLife Stadium Located?
The MetLife Stadium is in the Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford, Bergen County, New Jersey. It is 5 miles out of New York City, and not far from midtown Manhattan (about 9 miles).
It is 4 miles from Teterboro Airport, 13 miles from Newark Liberty International Airport, and 21 miles from LaGuardia Airport.
The Best Way to Get to MetLife Stadium
There are several options to get to MetLife Stadium. Because it is in a congested area, public transport is the best way to reach the stadium without stress. Here is a short review of the transport options:
Meadowlands has a rail service that goes straight to MetLife Stadium. The NJ Transit is a special transit system that operates for events at the stadium when expected attendance is over 50,000 people.
The NJ Transit connects up with the Frank R. Lautenberg Station at Secaucus Junction. It is a short trip from here to MetLife Stadium.
Park and Ride
Another good option is Park and Ride. Scroll down to the “Parking” section below to see the best Park and Ride choices available.
Coach USA Bus Service
The Coach USA Bus Service (Route 351) goes from Port Authority directly to MetLife Stadium.
There is a designated Uber zone at the stadium too if you wish to get there via the popular rideshare service.
Fans are advised not to walk to MetLife Stadium, as there are no pedestrian crossings in the nearby vicinity.
Directions to MetLife Stadium by Car
Here are some basic directions to MetLife Stadium from the major roads. The exact MetLife Stadium address is 1 MetLife Stadium Drive, East Rutherford, NJ 07073, United States.
Make sure to put this into your GPS before setting off!
Directions to MetLife Stadium
From the New Jersey Turnpike via George Washington Bridge:
You’ll want to drive from the western spur of the turnpike to the Stadium’s exits.
There are two exits you can take, 16W and 18W, which will give you access to the parking areas of the Stadium.
Via New York City and Eastern Points:
You’ll start by taking the Lincoln Tunnel, and following the signs for Route 3 West. Then, take Route 3 West to MetLife Stadium.
Traveling North on the New Jersey Turnpike
Follow the Western Spur and you’ll be able to get direct access to the stadium’s parking areas – take exit 16W.
There’s also an alternative route you can take if there’s a lot of traffic: Just take the eastern turnpike spur through Lincoln Tunnel to Exit 16E.
From there, take Route 3 West for direct access to MetLife’s parking spots!
Traveling South on the New Jersey Turnpike:
Drive through the Western Spur (Meadowlands Complex/Carlstadt) to Exit 19W to reach the stadium’s parking areas.
*This is an EZ Pass-only roadway (no cash lanes)!
Traveling South on the Garden State Parkway:
Follow the Garden State Parkway South and take Exit 163 on Route 17. From there, follow Route 17 to Paterson Plank Road and onto MetLife Stadium.
Traveling North on the Garden State Parkway:
Drive along the Garden State Parkway North and take Exit 153A on Route 3. Then, take Route 3 East to the stadium.
Via West – I – 80
You’ll want to start by merging onto I-80 East, and then head onto US-46 East. Take a right at NJ-3 East, and follow signage to MetLife Stadium.
Via East – I – 80
Begin by merging onto I-80 West, then drive to Route 17 South to Paterson Plank Road. Then, follow the signs to the stadium.
Via West I – 78
Take I-78 East (Express) to Newark, exiting onto I-95 North. From here, take Exit 16W for NJ Route 3 toward MetLife Stadium.
Via NJ Route 24
Follow Route 24 East, and then take I-78 East (Express) to Newark, exiting onto I-95 North. Then, you’ll want to take Exit 16W for NJ Route 3 toward the stadium!
Parking Near MetLife Stadium
Onsite parking is the most convenient option, due to how close it is to the stadium. Unfortunately, it’s also the most expensive option.
However, the MetLife Stadium has 2,8000 parking spaces! It also has a valet service available, so you can park in style.
It’s not uncommon for there to be incredibly heavy traffic on game days, so you’ll have to brave it if you want to drive in yourself to watch the game.
Even with a reserved booking for a car park, you need to arrive hours before the game to secure your spot.
If you do drive in, you can choose the parking lot closest to your entrance:
- For the Verizon Gate, choose lots F, J, E, C, and D.
- For the Pepsi or MetLife Gate, choose lots G, L, and M.
- For the Bud Light Gate, choose lots A, B, and H.
The parking rules and availability change according to the type of event being held at MetLife Stadium.
You can find more information on parking facilities at MetLife Stadium here.
Street parking is very limited, as the stadium is in a busy urban area. There are also additional parking restrictions in the neighboring streets on NFL game days.
Off-Site Parking Lots and Garages
- Some lots and garages include a valet service to make your parking experience during busy times that little bit easier.
- ADA aisle access may be available.
- You can also book with an agency such as Way.com.
- They will often offer discounts, so keep an eye out!
Private Offsite Parking
#1 Redd’s Restaurant and Bar Parking
- Redd’s is located only 1 mile away from MetLife Stadium (2 mins by shuttle).
- It has a shuttle service that will take you from the lot straight to MetLife Stadium.
- Opens 5 hours before events.
- The shuttle runs every 5-10 minutes.
- Shuttle service continues throughout the game or event at the stadium, and for 2 hours afterward.
- Also offers shuttle-only services for people not parking a car.
- You can stop for a pre-or-post match meal too – the restaurant has a 2000 square foot balcony that overlooks the MetLife Stadium!
For more information, you can check out their website here.
Edison Park Fast Park and Ride
- This well-established service parks over 3 million vehicles a year!
- You can transit by rail from close to the parking lot straight to MetLife Stadium.
- Edison Park Fast Park and Ride have many lots to choose from – simply book the one closest to the MetLife entrance you will be using.
- Has CCTV and team surveillance monitoring so that you can leave your vehicle with peace of mind.
- Can accommodate oversized vehicles
If you want to learn more, you can do so here.
- Icon Parking offers a Park and Ride from midtown Manhattan.
- Has many specials and discounts on offer!
- A valet service is available
For more information on Icon Parking, check out their website.
The Best Restaurants Near MetLife Stadium
Carpaccio is located at this address: East Rutherford, New Jersey – 1 American Dream Wy, East Rutherford, NJ 07073, United States.
Phone: +1 551 248 4984
- This restaurant is just 0.4 miles from MetLife Stadium.
- It offers traditional Italian cuisine with a modern twist!
- Has indoor and outdoor dining options, so you can dine during the warmer and colder months.
- Was voted “Bergen 2022 Winner” for the best new restaurant.
Redd’s Restaurant and Bar
Redd’s is located at this address: 317 Washington Ave. Carlstadt, NJ 07072, United States
Phone: +1 201 933 0015
- As well as faster options such as burgers and pizzas, Redd’s offers excellent plated meals including seafood, chicken, pasta, and salads
- Meals are served at long communal tables to encourage conversation in keeping with the festive atmosphere as people wait to watch the NFL.
- On the second level of Redd’s Restaurant and Bar, there are full banquet facilities with a catered menu for more formal occasions!
The Port of Peri Peri
The Port of Peri Peri is located at this address: 51 Route 17 South Unit 49, East Rutherford, NJ 07074, United States
Phone: +1 201 414 5505
- Serves Portuguese and African cuisines.
- The Port of Peri Peri is located slightly further out at 1.8 miles from the MetLife Stadium, but this up-and-coming restaurant is very popular with the sports crowd.
- The restaurant’s specialty is chicken cooked over an open-flame grill!
- Has a happy, party atmosphere to get you in the mood to watch the game.
The Best Bars Near MetLife Stadium
Redd’s Restaurant and Bar
- Located just 0.6 miles from MetLife Stadium.
- Offers traditional American bar snacks.
- Offers catering for larger groups.
- Extended hours on game days: Opens at 9 am on football Sundays.
Victory Sports Bar: Meadowlands Racing & Entertainment
Victory Sports Bar is located at this address: 1 Racetrack Drive, East Rutherford, NJ 07073, United States
Phone: +1 201 843 2446
- Located 3 mins (0.9 miles) from MetLife Stadium.
- Features large, flat-screen TVs to watch sports.
- A full menu of bar snacks and light meals.
- Comfortable sofas in the lounge area.
- Has a rooftop bar with city views.
- Has a nightclub attached to it!
- Has a very extensive beer menu.
- Very convenient – close to MetLife Stadium and has a shuttle to bring patrons to the game.
Yard House is located at this address: 1 American Dream Way, East Rutherford, NJ 07073, United States
Phone: +1 201 383 9728
- The Yard House lists over 130 types of beer on its menu!
- Located 1.2 miles from MetLife Stadium.
- This bar is very popular with sports fans.
- Offers excellent pre-match bar snacks, including tacos, burgers, fried chicken, seafood platters, pizza, and nachos.
The Best Hotels near MetLife Stadium
Hyatt Place Secaucus/Meadowlands
Hyatt Place is located at this address: 575 Park Plaza Dr, Secaucus, NJ 07094, United States
Phone: +1 201 422 9480
- Just 12 minutes by car from MetLife Stadium, this impressive, 4-star hotel is in the perfect location!
- The standard rooms can sleep up to 4 people, and feature a king-sized bed, sofa bed, or two double beds. Infant beds are available on request.
- Relax in front of the big flat-screen to watch some cable TV, while the kids play on the video game consoles.
- All of the rooms have coffee and tea-making facilities and designer bathroom toiletries. Guests can enjoy a free buffet breakfast in the morning.
- Grab a packaged snack from The Market (the little store) before heading out. Or if you have more time, The Placery Bar makes excellent fresh burgers, salads, and sandwiches.
- Rooms start at $161 per night.
Hilton Meadowlands is located at this address: Two Meadowlands Plaza, East Rutherford, NJ 07073, United States
Phone: +1 201 896 0500
- The Hilton Meadowlands is a 4-star hotel situated very close to the MetLife Stadium (3-10 mins by car).
- It’s in the heart of the fine dining area of Meadowlands and it has its own restaurant, Bergen Social, which is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- One of the best features of the Hilton is the indoor heated pool. It also has an indoor amusement park and a water park!
- The rooms have 1 king or 2 double beds. There are also luxurious suites available.
- All areas are fully accessible, including roll-in showers. The bathrooms have free toiletries.
- All rooms have coffee and tea-making facilities, a refrigerator, cable TV, and paid movies are available.
- Prices start from $148 upwards, and breakfast is included in the price!
Aloft Secaucus Meadowlands
Aloft is located at this address: 460 Harmon Meadow Blvd, Secaucus, NJ 07094, United States
Phone: +1 201-809-1000
- This 3-star hotel is in a prime location in the Mill Creek shopping district, only 3 minutes by car away from Meadowlands Stadium.
- The rooms feature 55-inch TVs, cable TV, and Netflix. All guest rooms have coffee and tea-making facilities, a refrigerator, and free toiletries.
- The onsite store has gourmet meals that can be picked up to eat later or you can relax with a drink at the WXYZ Bar.
- The standard rooms are stylish and modern. They have a king bed or two queen beds that start at $195 per night.
The History of MetLife Stadium
Before the MetLife Stadium, the Giants Stadium on the same site was home to the NY Giants Team, and the Jets were their tenants.
The new stadium was originally intended for the Giants, but due to funding issues, it became a joint venture for the Giants and the Jets. It was officially opened in 2010 to replace the aging Giants Stadium.
Where to Get Tickets for MetLife Stadium
You can order tickets online from Box Office Ticket Sales here.
Simply select the event, enter the date and time that you want, and purchase using a credit card, Apple Pay, or if you want to pay over time, choose Affirm!
There is a dedicated phone line as well – Phone: 1-800-515-2171.
Does MetLife Stadium Offer Tours?
MetLife Stadium has two types of guided tours available. One is for private groups with a minimum of 10 people (Monday to Friday) and the other is for individuals (some Saturdays only).
Here are some of the exclusive areas that you get to visit on a guided tour:
- The Commissioners Club
- The Press Box Lounge
- Various luxury suites
- The sports field!
- The Legacy Club
- Mezzanine Level Clubs
Click below to purchase week-day tickets for the Small Group Private Tour:
Click below to purchase Saturday tickets for the Individual tour:
The tours operate from Monday to Friday at 10 am 1:00 PM and 4:00 PM, as well as some Saturdays at 10:00 AM and 1:00 PM.
Smaller groups are welcome for the Monday to Friday tours, but the group must pay at least $180 (total) to cover the costs.
Cost of tickets?
- Age 13 and up $17.00
- Age 5 to12 years/senior citizens: $12
- Under 4: FREE
The MetLife Stadium is a must-see for sports fans. This massive stadium is an exciting visitor’s destination with excellent supporting infrastructure!
We’ve given you a small taste of just some of the many bars, restaurants, and hotels in the nearby vicinity. The options are endless for the trip of a lifetime to see your favorite team or artist in this open-air venue!